Good morning! So before I get to today’s recipe I wanted to announce that I have signed up for my second half marathon! I’m going to be running in the Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Half Marathon on November 16, 2014! I’m excited and nervous since my running has been non-existent lately but I think it will be easier to train for than the Nike race since I’ll be running in the fall. It’s still pretty hot in the morning and evening now but once it starts to cool down I’m going to pick up my outdoor running.
So, now on to the food! For my Supper Club I made a Lemon Pound Cake and topped it with strawberries and whipped cream. I originally thought of making a shortcake but ended up making more of a pound cake instead. Using the Lemon-Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil gave the cake a dense texture and a hint of lemon. Due to the oil the cake is very dense and moist.
This recipe makes one small loaf which was perfect for serving 4. I sliced the cake and topped it with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. To keep this vegan you can use coconut milk chipped cream. The fresh strawberries and whipped cream are the perfect light touch to the dense cake.
- ½ cup plain unsweetened soy milk, or other milk of choice
- ½ tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅙ cup Laconiko Lemon-Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or other high quality oil of choice)
- ⅛ cup water
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mix the soy milk and vinegar together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Mix the olive oil, water, lemon juice, vanilla extract and almond extract together with a fork and then add to the flour mixture. Mix well to get rid of all lumps.
- Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan and bake in the oven for approximately 35 minutes.
This recipe is adapted from the Vegan Basic Vanilla Cake recipe from All Recipes.
Disclaimer: This post was sponsored by Laconiko Olive Oil, but all opinions are my own.